Saturday, May 31, 2008

Girl Power!!! (plus a hint of testosterone)

I love Erika (middle) in this picture. Races are all about the free loot!

There's nothing better than a post race picture to capture all your hard work

Today myself, 5 girlfriends and one of their hubbies ran the See Jane Run Half Marathon, a predominately all women race. It was windy, cloudy, and flat but all in all a well run race by each of us. I'm SO proud of all my friends and they are such an inspiration to me. Girl Power!

It was my friend Jenn's first time she ever ran 13.1 miles and she did phenomenally well despite being forced to stop while they raised a draw bridge for a boat (super lame btw). It was Rachael's first time too and it makes me reflect on the first time I ran 13.1 miles. It was so HARD and I remember thinking running sucks. That's why I am so proud of all these girls and their desire to "keep on running!"

I met my goal and finished under 2 hours. I looked at my watch at mile 6 and saw that I had done it in 51 minutes. I thought to myself I better slow down or I won't make it. So I slowly tapered down which now I'm thinking was a bad idea because I started to loose my "umph." The last 2 miles I could have used a partner to push me. With about a 100 yards to go I see my friend Marianna come up beside me and say, "I'm going to beat you!" So my natural instincts kicked in and I pumped up my knees and sprinted to the finish of course! I could have used her 2 miles previously for that comment and then I could have really done some damage!!! Oh well next time :)

Anyway, hooray to all of us! I'll be the first to say without shame that training for a race is so dang difficult. It is a GREAT accomplishment that I hope all the girls I ran with are super proud of and shout from the roof tops...We did it!!!

10 comments:

Erika Allred said...

I'm stealing the picture of us! Thank you! I am so glad that we did it, though I wish we could have ran together too, then I could show you what I'm really made of...ha ha! Great job! You inspire me!

Mindy said...

You rock Becca!!! It was a priviledge running with a running legend such as yourself. :)

Karen said...

Way to go girls (and Scott)! I'm so amazed by all of you runners. You actually make running look like fun!

Jenn said...

Thank you for all your help. I needed the advice and encouragement. Wasn't that fun? Well hard too! Thanks for the good times.

Marianna said...

You are a rock star Becca! That was such a fun race and I am so glad I had all of you amazing women to push me and inspire me! YOU GO GIRL! And I had no idea that was you until I saw Kaiyah run out on to the path. She was so excited and proud of her mommy! So cute!

Mindi said...

No wonder you looked tired at Sammy's b-day party! :) Congratulations ladies and honorary lady Scott.

Carrie and Jeff said...

You're so awesome Becca. I need to start training so that I'm ready for the half marathon in January. I really don't like running, so it's hard to get motivated. That is awesome that you made it in such great time. I did like the book "The Host". While I was reading it I thought it was pretty good, but by the time I finished it---I really liked it a lot. I think you should continue to read.

Britney said...

Amazing! Congrats to YOU and all the gals. You guys inspire me!

You look great after the race...a sparkle in your eye like "I'm the freakin bomb!" ha ha!

Jeni said...

I am so proud of you gals and feel a bit of a failure myself. This is so amazing. I hope I one day actually accomplish this. YOU ARE AMAZING!!

AP said...

Wow!!! That looks like a fun race, maybe next year I will be able to join you. I am signing up with sacfit which starts marathon training this Saturday.
Congratulations on beating your previous time!