Sunday, December 21, 2008

Breath of Heaven

If you click on my playlist (if it's not already playing) you'll hear my favorite Christmas song. I can't get enough of this song. The Savior is someone whom I often think about but this is the time of year I'm reminded to think of his mother, Mary. It's Mary's "words" in this song. The words are so profound to me, especially ever since I've become a mother. I can't help but wander the emotions and thoughts Mary had when she learned she would be Christ's mother. The scriptures often state Mary as one who "kept all these things and pondered them in her heart." When I privately ponder and then seek the Lord for answers to problems, decisions, and trials, I understand God's will for me far more effectively than any other means.
The words from the song, "Waiting in silent prayer, frightened by the road I bare, in a world as cold as stone, must I walk this path alone? Be with me now. Hold me together. Be forever near me. Lighten my darkness." Obviously, Mary's task was far more involved than anything I am asked to do but I liken these words to my own situation. Sometimes the task of bringing children into this world can be scary. The world is tougher and tougher but I also know that myself and my children can have the Holy Ghost with us on our journey to guide us in good decisions and thus enable us to return to our Heavenly Father righteously.
Then my final thoughts are from Mary's words, "Do you wander as you watch my face if a wiser should of held my place? But I offer all I am. Help me be strong. Help me be. Help me." It's easy for me to feel inadequate at a task or a challenge sometimes. I remember when I first had Kaiyah I felt inadequate to care for one of His children, to effectively teach and rear her in righteousness (still do at times). But the ability to say "I offer all I am" and then leave the rest in God's hands is all we are asked of. On a daily bases I ask for help. I ask to be strong and just "be." I hope you all enjoy this song as much as I do. What a strong woman Mary was.

1 comment:

Carrie and Jeff said...

I love this song too. It's also on my playlist, but Amy Grant's version. I'll have to tell you something funny about Jeff that involves this song. Remind me the next time I talk to you.