Sunday, April 20, 2008

Kaiyah has officially been informed


There was an enrichment activity recently at my church and they had a discussion panel about how to discuss the "birds and the bees" with your children of all ages. Well I missed it but I got the recap from some friends. I never before thought to tell Kaiyah about this at such a young age, but she is going to Kindergarten in the fall and kids seem to know more and more at younger ages these days :( So tonight I had the talk. I told her how babies are made and told her the 2 ways that babies come out of mommies tummies. She already knew about private parts but I reemphasized the importance of the male and female parts being kept private. I feel like we have empowered her in a healthy way to protect her from harmful people which was the main goal for "the talk." The details I'm sure she will forget but I plan on doing what one lady in our ward did and that is to have "the talk" once a year right before school starts. She said every year it was all new to her kids. So there it is...I have 364 more days to prep for the next time we have the birds and the bees talk!!

5 comments:

Britney said...

I'm going to need all the exact dialog that was discussed :) ...I'm nervous for this talk. But, you're right, better to be talked about than not.

Kindergarten? Crazy!

Kelly Jensen said...

You brave soul! Way to go! Now she is informed and ready! I need you to fill me in because I missed it. It won't be too long before I am fumbling through it-- actually, since I have boys, does that get me out of it??? Thanks so much for your comment on my blog. It means a lot that you understand and have been through something similar. Thanks for your support.

Carrie and Jeff said...

That's a great idea, but I'm not looking forward to the talk.

Mindy said...

So now maybe Kaiyah can tell Sierra and Skyla all about it because we still haven't had that talk...

Karley said...

I am so proud of you! It's hard now but will get easier later on down the road. :)