Yesterday for my Women in Art History class we took Bart into San Francisco to the Women's Building. Posted are pictures of the mural painted all over the outside of the building that my Professor did along with a few other women. It was really amazing to view the details and bright colors. It depicts different significant women throughout history. My Professor is an outspoken feminist and I tend to challenge her in discussions or in interpretations of art work. For example, I picked a women artists from the 1700's to do my report on that by my interpretation despised painting because her father forced it upon her so she could provide for her parents and siblings (a famous women artists who possibly didn't actually LOVE being an artist was very unlikely in my professors opinion). She died at age 27 from an ulcer which was likely the cause of being overworked. She drew a lot of pictures of the Virgin Mary with baby Jesus and nameless mothers with their children. I, of course, interpreted this as a resentment toward her life and the one she didn't have but desired. I appreciate my Professor and her point of views, maybe not to the extreme she does but I am actually really enjoying this class. She's always saying with a smirk, "I'm so glad you're in this class," as if she is going to change me into a hardcore feminist by the end of the semester. I will say this...I am adapting some feminist qualities but not to the extreme she would relish in!
Thursday, March 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





3 comments:
There is nothing wrong with being a bit of a feminist. Not all of their ideas are bad. That building looks really nice. Are there any quilts inside?
I want to hear some of your new feminist side one of these days!
I like you more and more and more with each thing I learn about you. You sound like me. You got spunk!
Post a Comment